Pediatric Dentistry is a dental specialty that concentrates its attention on infants and children providing preventive and therapeutic oral health care. During the “growth” phase of a child, special approaches are needed to guide the dental growth and development in order to avoid future dental problems.
Milk teeth are as important as permanent ones because:
- Baby teeth are important in proper feeding and nutrition.
- Milk teeth serve as space maintainers for the proper spacing and alignment of the permanent teeth.
- Healthy milk teeth are crucial in helping the baby learn how to speak properly.
- Healthy-looking teeth are important in building self-confidence at an early age. Small children because of immaturity are quick to tease peers about ugly-looking or decayed teeth.
- How many teeth are present
- Are all teeth present
- Loose teeth if any
- Braces / bite evaluation
- Cavity check
- Check health of gums
- Habit evaluation
- Homecare / prevention
- Fluoride use
- Review diet
- Sddress adult’s concerns
- Teach adults how to care for child’s teeth
Common Procedures Include
- FLUORIDE APPLICATIONS (For prevention from effects of chocolates; Colas; sticky foods on teeth)
- PIT & FISSURE SEALS (Most recommended way of caries prevention by blocking deep pits & fissures of teeth )
- FLUORIDE FILLINGS (for correction of cavities in milk& permanent teeth)
- ORTHODONTIC ASSESSMENT (opinion from specialist Orthodontist whether your child needs Braces)
- HABIT BREAKING APPLIANCES (For correction of bad habits like Thumb-sucking; Mouth breathing; Tongue –thrusting)
- SPACE MAINTAINERS (To allow the permanent tooth to erupt in place if milk tooth has shed off or extracted early.)
- SCALING & POLISHING OF TEETH (to prevent any gum problem)